Monday, September 04, 2006

Snacky yums!

Not just for toddlers!

I found this recipe in my Super Baby Food Cookbook.... but I changed it up a bit... Travis has still not had nuts, so I omitted them I used more chopped dried fruit than the recipe called for. I made bars instead of the "balls" honestly, they wouldn't have stayed in "ball form" long enough to bake them anyway. It seemed like the mixture was too soft to hold together.

I just baked these....

And they are SO good! :)

"Granola Hors d'oeurvres"
1 1/2 cup rolled oats (I used The Silver Palate Thick and Rough Oatmeal) that's what I had in my cupboard.
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup ground nuts (I omitted)
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup dried fruit, chopped (I used 1/2 package SunMaid Mixed Dried Fruit - Pears, apricots, apples, and prunes)
1/4 cup melted butter or oil (I used butter)
5 tablespoons honey (for babies over 1 year old only!)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix dry ingredients together. Mix in honey, butter or oil, vanilla, and egg. Add more honey if mixture is too dry, or more oats if it's too wet.

Form into small ballsBake or fry, making sure egg is cooked through.

Variation: Press into 8X8 baking pan, and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Cool and then cut into bars.
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh cool thanks! I've been wanting something like this for Cricket but storebought had too many things I didn't like. I might have to make a few changes myself but this is a good start. Any ideas if Rice Milk will work in place of the dry milk? I don't know the conversion. I'll probably have to play with it.

Anonymous said...

These sound great. I may have to give them a try!