Monday, February 27, 2006

Hell Hath No Fury....

Like a cranky momma who goes to pick up her Rx for a medication prescribed by a doctor who came into the room as I was nursing - and to find out it isn't safe to take while breastfeeding. It's an L3, and also a Narcotic!

(An L3 is a Lactation Risk Catagory 3... meaning it's only "Moderately Safe" to use while nursing. These catagory drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant.)

Okay, all that, it's annoying, but I'm sure it happens...

That's why I read that little packet that comes with prescriptions religiously.What really got me going was the smarmy
"Pharmacy Assistant" Bitch who thought it was her place to point out (after asking how old The Boy was) that
"He can eat solid foods at his age, you can just stop nursing while taking this."

Oh, hell no uh, uh, she di'nt. I let her have it. "It's not appropriate that you tell me to change my lifestyle in order to accommodate taking a medication! It is the prescribing doctor's responsibility to make sure this medication is safe to prescribe to me. He knows I am nursing. My son is sick, also, and not eating well. But he will nurse. And I will not "just stop nursing" him simply because you have the audacity to make that rediculous suggestion." I was not discreet with my volume or my tone. She slunk away, obviously embarrassed, but without another word.

Whew! It was the first time I had to just let myself go off on a stream-of conciousness breastfeeding rant. And to make it worse, since I'd already paid for the Rx, I had to demand a refund from the Pharmacy manager. Don't fuck with me today, people... I'm serious. I'm. Not. In. The. Mood.
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Mama C-ta said...

Great, great response. I probably would have been speechless if it were me then fumed about it for the rest of my life. Glad you got it out there!

Hope you guys are feeling better.

hollibobolli said...

oh lord. and I don't think I've ever seen anyone type out "di'nt"

LOL!!!