Monday, April 07, 2008

Like a rocket!

After being sent home Saturday afternoon (again) I went home thoroughly convinced I would remain pregnant and contracting through the weekend.

Every time I would doze off, I got jolted awake by painful contractions. I got up around 1:00am, and headed out to the living room, to see if I could catch some rest in the recliner. I finally slept for 2 hours.
At around 3:00am Sunday morning. I was having contractions still at 5-7 minutes, like for the last week... but everything was focused in my low back and low pelvis. I waited, and waited, but couldn't get back to sleep.

I showered at around 5am, then since I had 3 contractions in 14 minutes in the shower, I called the hospital, and told them I was coming in. I woke Jeff up to tell him we were going to the hospital. I started crying, because I was so tired of being in pain and told him I just wanted it to be over.

We bundled a still-sleeping Travis up in a blanket, and got him in the van.

We drove to the hospital, and it was still dark outside. We arrived at around 5:45am.

I was given an exam, and there was no change from the previous day. 2 cm, 50% effaced... I was soo mad. The nurse said for me to wait and be monitored for an hour, and if there was no change, I had to go home again. I was so frustrated. And really, really tired from lack of sleep.

I was having crazy strong contractions... and they were 3-4 minutes apart... but the monitor was NOT picking them up. The nurse actually had Jeff write down when they were happening, and she would hold my stomach and feel for them.

I kept having to get up to pee... and she checked me at about 6:45 am. I was a 3. Woohoo! I was really happy, because it meant my doctor was going to be able to break my water, and I could stay!

Jeff had taken Travis to change out of his pjs, and into regular clothes, because he was going to take him over to Great-Grandma's house as soon as we got word that I was being admitted.

I kept wanting to get out of bed when a contraction would hit. I got up, and held onto my bed rail - and then wanted to go pee. I had 2 contractions in the bathroom. Then, all of a sudden, I felt the need to bear down.

I was coming back into my room, when another contraction hit.

I told the nurse I felt like I had to go poop. LOL! She flipped out and tried to get me back into bed. But I got hit with another contraction right away. I told Jeff to take Travis out of the room. They were already headed in that direction.... it was right around 7am.

Then, calamity broke loose. I started losing control. The pain was SOOO bad, and I absolutely couldn't stop bearing down. The nurse got on the com and started yelling for hands, a labor cart, gloves... they were not ready for what happened!! I basically went from 3 centimeters to complete, and the baby was OUT in a TOTAL of less than 15 minutes. I had 6 nurses in my room, scrambling around... and I delivered Ashley at 7:14 am yesterday morning, with no drugs, no IV, nothing. Just a flying baby! Luckily, it was right at shift change,so there were plenty of helping hands!

They had to get her breathing well, with some suction and a bit of oxygen because she was so "wet" from being born so fast she swallowed some amniotic fluid. But, she's perfect and healthy!

My OB made it in time to stitch me up (I had a 2nd degree tear) and to deliver the placenta. The first thing he said when he walked through the door, with a smile and a look of utter shock on his face was "Wow, you only have two speeds, don't you?!"

I thought Jeff went out to the waiting room, but he had taken Travis to his Grandma's.... He thought he would make it back in time... and he had already called his mom to come down from the Bay Area. Imagine the surprise when I called his cell only to tell him the baby was already here!

She's a little tiny thing... at least compared to Travis when he was born. She weighed 7 pounds even, and was 20 inches long. He was 7 lbs 14 oz and 23 inches long, So she by comparison is little tiny.

We're home now, and doing well. We had a lot of visitors at the hospital - my mom, Jeff's mom & Bob, his Grandma, James & Michelle... and it was really nice seeing everyone.

There was crappy cell reception, and no wi-fi... so sorry for the late update! :)

Bookmark and Share


Nicole said...

Congrats! You must have gotten the In-n-Out I suggested! :)

Sorry the labor was so long but at least the delivery part went quickly! What a wonderful story.

Rachael said...

YAY! I am so happy fors you guys. What a speedy labor too. And no drugs? Holy shit lady, you are my new hero.
So why did you end up going home so soon after the delivery? When my sister had her third she went home the same day because she had such a good birth.
She is so beautiful Christine! We will be back in CA to help my sister move in May and I am not passing up a chance to see her.

Jamie said...

Congratulations! She's adorable.

Wendy-MommyInTheKnow said...

Wow!! That's the way to have a baby. Congratulations!! She's beautiful. I can't wait to see more pictures.

christina said...

Congrats! What a speedy delivery! She's just adorable!!!

Texasbelle said...

Beautiful! I was just thinking about you this morning and am sorry I didn't check sooner. Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

She's so cute! susan93940 We missed you at Peet's tonight. I think she'll fit in to that adorable pink and white hat you made.