Monday, September 11, 2006

5 years ago....

It's been 5 years, and that's hard to believe. Yet, in that 5 years so much has happened in our lives. We've moved 3 times since then. We are driving different cars now. Relationships have been rebuilt. New friendships have been made... Old ones have faded away. We've had tragedy and also the indescribable joy that comes along with bringing a new life into the world.



We have this picture of the New York Skyline framed in our living room. It's a beautiful black and white... and it reminds me everyday, that we live in a different world now.

One day I will have to explain to my son why those buildings are no longer standing.
That's something that I know is going to be difficult. It will be awhile, I'm certain of it. But one day I will need to tell him about September 11th.

How will I explain it... I mean, how? How will give I him enough information, yet not make him suspicious of people?

Terrorists.

That word, it's something that shouldn't even be in a small child's vocabulary. But how many children lost their mommy or daddy that day, or even both?

How will I explain that there are evil bad people who want nothing more than to hurt and kill? People who hide behind their interpretation of their religion to do it? People who will most likely attack our country again, and in their lifetime?

Just how do you explain all of that to a child? Sigh.

I looked through the archives of my old Diaryland blog... and found my actual September 11, 2001 entry... so, here it is:


"I should have known something was wrong, but I was half-asleep when the phone rang. The second time I nudged Jeff and he went and answered it. It was Sal with the news of the Terrorist attacks on the WTC and the Pentagon. I heard Jeff say "They blew up the World Trade Center" and he ran into our room and switched on the television.I sat straight up, suddenly wide awake. I just could not believe my eyes. We saw the building blow up (the 2nd tower)and over and over again. I was gripped with sadness, fear, anger, rage all at once.

We woke up James and watched the news until it was time to go to work.

We live near the Defense Language Institute, and the Presidio of Monterey. They had armed guards at the gates.

We stopped at 7-11 for coffee, and the "Captain" (the owner of that 7-11) was there with a very sad expression on his face while we watched the news on the TV there while waiting to pay. He is a Veteran, and I know this is hard for everyone to watch.

I walked into work a zombie. Everyone was talking about it, speculating about it. I left for the day at 1pm, and thought I'd go to the mall to make myself feel better. Most of the stores were closed, and Macy's was one of the few open ones. I went to the Benefit counter, and talked to the girl there about the events of the day. We talked for about 45 minutes, and she did my makeup, and I bought some stuff. But I felt empty, hollow, and very sad the entire time.

On the way home there was a group of people on this one certain huge sand dune that people always spell out messages on with the iceplant so you can read the huge letters form the road. There were 10 or so people at the top waving two American flags and the message spelled out said "God Bless USA". We honked and waived. And then I broke down crying.

Why does it take a tragedy like this to bring us together as a country? Whoever is responsible for this will pay, and they will pay greatly.

I love our President. I think he will do what is just and right. They WILL pay!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Statement by the President in His Address to the Nation, September 11, 2001

8:30 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: "Good evening. Today, our fellow citizens, our way of life, our very freedom came under attack in a series of deliberate and deadly terrorist acts. The victims were in airplanes, or in their offices; secretaries, businessmen and women, military and federal workers; moms and dads, friends and neighbors. Thousands of lives were suddenly ended by evil, despicable acts of terror.

The pictures of airplanes flying into buildings, fires burning, huge structures collapsing, have filled us with disbelief, terrible sadness, and a quiet, unyielding anger. These acts of mass murder were intended to frighten our nation into chaos and retreat. But they have failed; our country is strong.

A great people has been moved to defend a great nation. Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve.

America was targeted for attack because we're the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world. And no one will keep that light from shining.

Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature. And we responded with the best of America -- with the daring of our rescue workers, with the caring for strangers and neighbors who came to give blood and help in any way they could.

Immediately following the first attack, I implemented our government's emergency response plans. Our military is powerful, and it's prepared. Our emergency teams are working in New York City and Washington, D.C. to help with local rescue efforts.

Our first priority is to get help to those who have been injured, and to take every precaution to protect our citizens at home and around the world from further attacks.

The functions of our government continue without interruption. Federal agencies in Washington which had to be evacuated today are reopening for essential personnel tonight, and will be open for business tomorrow. Our financial institutions remain strong, and the American economy will be open for business, as well.

The search is underway for those who are behind these evil acts. I've directed the full resources of our intelligence and law enforcement communities to find those responsible and to bring them to justice. We will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbor them.

I appreciate so very much the members of Congress who have joined me in strongly condemning these attacks. And on behalf of the American people, I thank the many world leaders who have called to offer their condolences and assistance.

America and our friends and allies join with all those who want peace and security in the world, and we stand together to win the war against terrorism. Tonight, I ask for your prayers for all those who grieve, for the children whose worlds have been shattered, for all whose sense of safety and security has been threatened. And I pray they will be comforted by a power greater than any of us, spoken through the ages in Psalm 23: "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me."

This is a day when all Americans from every walk of life unite in our resolve for justice and peace. America has stood down enemies before, and we will do so this time. None of us will ever forget this day. Yet, we go forward to defend freedom and all that is good and just in our world.

Thank you. Good night, and God bless America. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

God Bless America, indeed."
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

hollibobolli said...

dammit - i wrote the longest comment here. grrrr.

I loved your post, past sentiments and the presidents speech.. I don't feel like I can post anything in support of our president anymore without getting based into oblivion and I hate that.My heart sank when I saw that picture. I don't think that will ever change.

Oh I hate when I write long comments and they disappear!

Mrs. Flinger said...

What a great post, Christine!! Seriously. Fantastic. I agree with you, totally, but you said it so well, I don't need to. :-)